In this episode we catch up with past podcast participant Mikolaj Zybala (Miko) from Poland and discuss shaping behavior. (CLICK HERE to listen to the previous episode featuring Miko). Also see below for podcast outline, a video talking about how to write shaping plans, and a bio of Miko. Enjoy 🙂
- 0:00 Introduction.
- 2:47 Updates from Miko as to what he’s been up to in the last 6 months.
- 6:44 Definition of shaping.
- 8:42 Discussion about splitting behavior up rather than lumping it together.
- 12:20 Why we are all expert shapers of behavior.
- 14:07 Miko shares a story of shaping a seal to turn in a circle.
- 18:50 We talk about some of the benefits of writing out shaping plans.
- 22:25 Some examples of fun shaping games you can play.
- 28:20 How to write your own shaping plans.
- 31:20 Miko shares one last story about shaping behavior
- 34:22 Conclusions.
Mikolaj Zybala Msc, marine biologist, animal trainer, educator. Specializes in marine mammals’ biology, ethology and husbandry with particular focus on phocid seals. Passionate marine mammal keeper & trainer and advocate for using positive reinforcement methods in animal care. Attendee to multiple seminars and workshops on animal husbandry, a 2012 DUML & Oak Foundation Global Fellow.
Professionally, marine mammal keeper & trainer since 2006, in academic and private facilities and in zoos. Experienced in rehabilitation and in monitoring of wild population of phocid seals. Keen to promote improving animals’ life under human care through positive reinforcement animal training in zoos and in private homes. Eager and devoted to ignite passion and fascination towards the marvel of marine ecosystems in everyone.
Thanks for listening to this podcast about shaping behavior. If you like this podcast, please leave a comment below. In fact, if you didn’t like it I would still love to hear from you, leave a comment below. Good luck with all your training endeavors whether you’re doing animal training in zoos or something else, I look forward to seeing you all again soon.