Carrie Kish Bio
Carrie Kish is an avid herpetologist, and animal trainer with a 15-year career in professional dog training, working primarily with dangerous dogs and dogs with fear and anxiety disorders. In 2012, while working for San Diego Zoo Global, Carrie founded Reptelligence with her co-worker and good friend Alex Konold, with the intention of exploring and showcasing the cognition abilities of reptiles and amphibians. Since that time, the Facebook page Reptelligence: Enrichment, Training, and Education has gained an international following including pet owners, veterinarians, zoo curators, professional animal keepers and trainers of all species. Carrie has worked closely with a variety of species from rhinos to roaches, parrots to porcupines, cheetahs to kestrels, and Tuataras to Tarantulas. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Biola University and is working towards a Master’s degree in Ethology at the Ethology Institute, University of Cambridge.
- CLICK HERE for the Reptelligence Facebook page.
- CLICK HERE to see a photograph of the snake tree mentioned by Carrie in this episode
- CLICK HERE to read Carrie’s Blog post on snake body language
Liked this podcast? Check out the three previous podcast episodes from ATA
- CLICK HERE for the Jim Mackie – Animal Training and behavior officer, Zoological Society of London.
- CLICK HERE for the John McGuigan; Glasgow dog trainer podcast episode.
- CLICK HERE for the Morten Egtvedt Podcast episode; Clicker training, free shaping, cues & fluency.
LIVE snake training web-class ?
23rd March 7:30 am, 2018 (New Zealand time). CLICK HERE to convert to your time zone.
Also, if you like this then you will love the next LIVE ATA members only web-class we have scheduled featuring Carrie Kish on Snake Training!
This web-class is all about giving reptiles/ectotherms and snakes choice and control when we work with them. The web-class will look at
- Animal well-being, educating others and current research.
- Overview of traditional training and management techniques
- The role of habitat and enrichment
- Overview of challenges faced when training reptiles.
- Signs of stress and body language in snake
- Overview of reinforcers we can use for reptiles
- 5 step guide to training your snake
- What’s next? Moving forward.
Events are for ATA paying members only. We don’t want you to miss out though, so we’re giving you the chance to join for just $1! You can access your exclusive $1 ten-day membership trial below!