SO … Oh My GAWD! Training this behaviour was going perfectly UNTIL it wasn’t! lol – After a seamless start, our training completely fell apart & I had to switch to brainstorming mode HARD! You can watch my original session from May the 11th below;
What happened after this was that Fibi increased her latency in offering me the “lie on your side behaviour” & sometimes didn’t even want to come & participate! Here’s how I problem solved this below;
- I was worried she had injured herself & maybe the behavior was painful! So I observed her in all kinds of locomotion & I couldn’t see anything wrong.
- I thought maybe the kibble I was using was not a strong enough motivator… so I switched to big chunks of chicken! To no avail.
- I thoughts maybe we had to take some steps back… so I went back to the start – to no avail.
- I thought maybe it was where I was positioned or how I was delivering the food. So I changed where I was, I threw the food each time, I used my manners minder (remote feeding device) & tried to change these aspects – to no avail (although I was on the right track somewhat here)!
- So I thought I would do a session just getting her to sit and go into a (sphinx) down! But she didn’t even want to do this!
- I did flowcharts and mapped out the whole session! Was great for upping the rate of reinforcement in the sessions but she still had significant latency on some of her behaviors. (You can learn more about flow charts in this past ATA blog post here >>> http://bit.ly/ATA_Flowcharts)
One thing I did notice though was that frequently throughout the last 1-2 days she was actually offering me the “on your side behavior“ randomly throughout the day … AND when she did I quickly offered her ziwi peak (as I always have some ziwi peak on me).
So I thought… Hmmm… maybe it is something to do with the antecedent picture of the training session after all. So I changed into a different position. A position I was in earlier in the day & where she had walked up to me and just offered the behavior – AND BOOM we got this! (watch specifically at 0:35 – for what we have now aptly named this the “Fibi-flop” lol).
I don’t know what it was about the other antecedent arrangement that changed her behaviour… but seemingly it did! WOW what a huge learning opportunity Fibi has provided me over this week to work on my troubleshooting skills! – Thank you little dog! SO SO grateful 💚
How do you problem solve when you hit challenges in your training? I would love to know & you can leave your comments below – we look forward to hearing from you.
Ryan Cartlidge – ATA Founder/Connector/Facilitator